Monday, September 26, 2011

Rain and Pizza

The rain has come, announcing autumns arrival. Our early morning walk was cut short today. With a wind warning in effect, Princess had a bit of a battle holding on to her umbrella, and it was too much to manage Outlaw, my umbrella and Princess' needs.  Seems to me that a solution (at least on the days when there is a wind warning on top of a rainy day), is for either I or Phatdogg to walk the dog solo, and for Princess and I to head out for some puddle jumping later in the day. I quite like the rain, as does she, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The pizza was on account of a weekend trip away for Phatdogg. He came home Sunday, famished and wanting to order in.  I originally said I would pass, but after a nice long walk with Princess and Outlaw, I decided to enjoy it as a treat. (not just for eating but for not preparing dinner too!)  I enjoyed the pizza, but felt a bit guilty eating it.  I did find it a bit heavy, but that didn't stop me from having some leftovers for lunch today too.  I worked in the grain, milk, meat and veg servings it would be onto our charts.  I feel like it's a bit of a waste of servings, having the pizza, because it takes up so many servings, but you only get a couple of pieces. I won't even comment on the oil or fat that it would contain. 

Now, we have made pizza at home, below is the recipe that we got from Mannie -thanks!


Dough

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 cup milk, I use 1 %
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine


Combine all ingredients, knead about 7 times, add a little extra dusting of flour if too tacky. Wrap in plastic wrap for about 30-45 mins to rest and rise a little, this makes it easier to stretch out on the pizza pan.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray pizza pan with a little cooking spray. Take your dough and plop it in the middle of your pan, with your hand, flatten it out and gently spread it towards the edges, going over the edge by about 1", this will allow you to put a ring of cheese if desired (try Monteray Jack) around then fold the crust over the cheese and seal it in, you can go just to the edge if you don't want the stuffed crust. Spread pizza sauce on the dough, or homemade salsa, sprinkle some cheese, put your toppings on and then more cheese.
Place pizza on middle rack in preheated oven for 30 mins.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment